Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 5 April 2013

RESUMES


 Dear  Team

Following extract from book , “ REWORK “ ( authored by Jason Fried and David Hansson ) may be of interest to you :



Resumes are ridiculous ( Page 210 )

We all know resumes are a joke. They’re  exaggerations. They are filled with ‘ action verbs “ that don’t mean anything. They list job titles and responsibilities that are vaguely accurate at best. And there is no way to verify most of what’s on there. The whole thing is a farce.
Worst of all , they’re too easy. Anyone can create a decent-enough resume. That’s why half-assed applicants love them so much.
If you hire based on this garbage, you’re missing the point of what hiring is about. You want a specific candidate who cares specifically about your company, your products, your customers and your job.
So , how do you find these candidates ?
First step :
Check the cover letter. In a cover letter , you get actual communication instead of a list of skills, verbs , and years of irrelevance. There is no way an applicant can churn out hundreds of personalized letters. That’s why the cover letter is a much better test than a resume. You hear someone’s actual voice and are able to recognize if it’s in tune with you and your company.


Hcp

PS

I strongly recommend that all of you keep a copy of this book on your table and randomly read one chapter ( consisting of just ONE page ! ) everyday
I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment