Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 16 September 2013

FW: Message Blaster Projects


Dear Damahe,



It seems , I underestimated the requirements of the project and overestimated the s/w knowledge of the students / faculty !

I had a long chat with Shuklendu re: how to proceed for the completion of the project , given the other academic demands on the students , for the balance of the semester

Based on this , I see no other alternative except to fully transfer the completion of both the web sites to Sentient Systems , with immediate effect , since , we have a very tight deadline to meet

Perhaps , during the course of this week , students should carry-out all the “ Corrections “ to the text-only pages , for which , I have sent to Shivanand , a detailed handwritten note last week. Then email these ( code ) to Shuklendu

They need not work beyond that

Shivanand may speak to Shuklendu and find out whether Shuklendu would like to get the incomplete S/W code for the other pages ( Compose Message / Create Mailing List / Pairing / Watch Your Blast ..etc )

As far as my various handwritten notes / hard copies of User Interface Designs etc are concerned , Shivanand may please return the same to me

I would also request you to completely “ Delete “ from your server , the databases that Shuklendu has sent to Shivanand

In closing , I wish to record my appreciation for all the support that Shivanand / Shashank have provided to the students

I am also thankful for your own interest and encouragement

With regards,

hcp











From: Shuklendu Baji - Sentient Systems [mailto:shuklendu.baji@sentientsystems.net]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 11:13 AM
To: Hemen Parekh
Subject: Message Blaster Projects

HCP Sir,

I writing this mail to give you feedback on observations Rahul made about the state of project when he visited LTIT last week and my own assessments.

The basic observation is that the team, comprising of students and the guiding faculty, does not possess requisite knowledge, about ASP.Net & MS SQL Server, to carry out projects of this complexity.

Just to give some examples,
·        The team does not know the correct way to update value selected from drop-down to the database
·        The team does not know the significance of nullability constraint in the database
·        The team does not know the correct way to manage database connections

Even the available resources, like database structure provided by us, have not been studied & used to create remaining database schema.

In such a scenario, it is very difficult for us to guide & support the team. If they had created most of the programs and got stuck only on certain finer points, we could have helped them overcome these difficulties. But when the basic structure is so flawed, there is nothing much we can do.

Your vision for the projects requires a very robust, highly scalable software, capable of performing under very heavy load. I cannot, by any stretch of imagination, see the present software, as it exists, capable of supporting millions of transactions and thousands of users, as you have in your mind.

Another important objective behind the project was that the students get exposure to doing a decent-sized, real-life project and gain invaluable experience. In my opinion, even this objective has met a very limited success, because the students lack strong theoretical grounding in the required subjects. We have been able to provide a few nuggets of knowledge here and there, but that is about all. It may even be detrimental to them in their present state of education, to take large chunk of their time from their regular studies and devote it to the project.

Thanks
Shuklendu Baji


No comments:

Post a Comment