Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 12 February 2019

ECHOING YOUR THOUGHTS


Dear Prabir,



Immensely enjoyed reading your article :

-        Where you write :
·          If data is powering this growth, who owns the data ? Most people ask questions about whether the data belongs to the companies that collect and process it, or to the individuals whose data is being collected
·          The first point is that the most useful data is not our personal demographic data: Who we are in terms of age, gender or ethnicity. It is the data of our social interactions
·          Who controls the data and its flow will decide who will rule the world in the 21st century
·          The “negotiations” are all about control over data and its flows: No restrictions on digital platforms; open collection of peoples data and no taxes on digital goods. In effect, a blatant plea for a neo-colonial data regime.
·          The right response is working out a trajectory different from the dystopian one of ever-growing digital capital. That means re-imagining our digital future with people at its centre, not capital.

I wish our Policy Makers find a few minutes ( from their daily mud-slinging ) to read your article a few times , over and over
Over the past 2 years , I must have sent more than 40 emails to our Cabinet Ministers on the subject of proposed Data Protection Law , with the following , only 3 days back :
You may find that my proposal addresses some of the concerns raised by you
I will appreciate your views
With regards,
Hemen  Parekh
Mumbai






No comments:

Post a Comment