Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Sunday 14 October 2018

RUNNING KITCHENS ON ELECTRICITY


Dear Shri Ajay Shankarji,


With great interest , I read your following article in Business Line ( Oct 12 ) :

Where you write :

A more ambitious transition can now be attempted to get rural households to use electricity for cooking. This would transform the quality of the lives of rural women, eliminate indoor air pollution, and improve health. Like LEDs, bulk procurement of efficient electric cooking stoves could be undertaken by an aggregator, like EESL, to bring down prices.
These stoves can be given to rural households for cooking to be paid for, in easy instalments, and free to BPL households. Basic cooking and lighting can be done in about a hundred units a month.


But ,

If the electricity for the kitchen is going to be generated in coal-based power plants , then we may be only transferring the pollution !

Ideal solution would be :

·         A solar Powered Electric “ Chulha “ , coupled with Battery Storage devices

In this context , you might want to read :



Solar Chulha : Where can I buy ?  [  16  July  2018  ]



I think , we should subsidize such SOLAR POWERED chulhas , in a big way ( only when ONGC finds time to commercialize the same – which I doubt !



With  regards,

Hemen Parekh  /  Mumbai






No comments:

Post a Comment