Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Sunday 25 November 2018

RETROFITTING OLD CARS WITH ELECTRIC KITS


Dr  Ranjan Ray / Dr Atul Ranjan  /  Dr Jasvinder Singh  /  Dr  A K Jain  /  Dr Poonam  Gupta

Indian Institute of Petroleum


Dear Friends ,

With great interest , I read :


Old cars retrofitted with electric kits is the latest solution ?





Congratulations on this innovation which will ,


#   Accelerate the switch-over to non-polluting electric vehicles

#  Give a new “ avatar “ to 1.1 million private 4 wheelers

#  Save assets worth lakhs of crore of rupees , which would , otherwise get scrapped


It was also very heartening to read about your efforts to come up with “ Solar Powered EV charging stations


[   Solar Power Based Charging Station ?   ]

 

 


This news report says :

For 100 km run ,

#  EV will cost only Rs 58

#  Petrol car will cost Rs 458


It also reads ,

“   Retrofitting could cost around Rs 1.5 lakh – not counting for the lithium-ion battery


Could you please advise re the capacity of battery needed and its landed cost  ?


For over 2 years , in my emails to the Cabinet Ministers , I have been advocating “ Retrofitting of Petrol cars “ , as you can find from :



Some 
31 months back , in my blog / email ,


Piyush Plan ?  /  27  March  2016  ]


I wrote :


#   DISPOSAL  OF  EXISTING  VEHICLES ( 200 million + produced till 2030 )


*  Enable / encourage MSME units to carry out " Retro Fitting " of existing vehicles


Retiring Old Vehicles - Gadkari Style ?  /  30  March  2016




Better Late than Never !



#     Why scrap entire vehicle  ?  Why not retrofit  ?


·    In an OLD vehicle,

-      only “ Polluting Sub Assembly “ is the ENGINE


-       other “ Non-Polluting Sub Assemblies “ are :


 Body – Chasis – Transmission – Tyres etc




So , why SCRAP those non-polluting parts ?


Why not just scrap the old engine and retro-fit the vehicle with a brand NEW engine ( BS VI compliant )  ?


That will mean re-utilizing some 80 % of the asset and , at the same time getting rid of the air pollution !





With regards,

Hemen  Parekh  



No comments:

Post a Comment