Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 24 January 2024

INDUSTRIAL DEMOCRACY

 Dear Prof Shyam Sundar,

 

 

 

It was a pleasure reading in today’s Business Line, your article ,

 

“ A skewed approach to labour issues “

 

At one place you write :

 

“  Further the NITI Aayog typically completely leaves out any mention of INDUSTRIAL DEMOCRACY to meet the stated objectives, like fair wages or even minimum wages . Trade Unions perform important social and economic functions ( as an agency of collective agreements , reduction of transaction costs etc ). They constitute one of the fundamental human rights , according to the ILO “

 

Sir ,

 

You have raised a very important issue, viz, :

 

“ How can managements get the workers ( through their unions ), to participate in the decisions-making process of the organization to which they belong ? “

 

For over 8 years ( 1979 – 1987 ) when I was General Manager ( Powai Works ) of L&T , I tried to find an answer to this question , through hundreds of meetings with the Union Leaders but also through sending out communiques ( individual copies to each of 7,500 employees at Powai – in English and Marathi )

 

You may want to take a look at :

 

http://latterstolntemployee.blogspot.com/2013/07/do-not-rock-boat.html

 

with regards,

 

hemen  Parekh

 

hcp@RecruitGuru.com

 

www.hemenparekh.in

 

www.3pConsultants.co.in

 

 

PS :

 

Sometimes in 1977-79 , I had an opportunity to address the students of your Institute who were keen to know the difference between Management – declared , “ Lock Out “  vs  “ Suspension of Operations “  

No comments:

Post a Comment