Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 15 September 2018

RE: Since it is late in India, only a picture for now

 Dear Horst,

 

 

I don’t know what prompted me to search for you on internet but I am glad I did

 

Thanks for those photos . Somewhere in my drawers , I think I have a copy of the one with both of us ( with me , in cap ) – but I could not find

 

But , among some 50 odd color slides ( 35 mm ) of our stay at KU , I have found 3 / 4 , which I will scan / digitize , next week and email to you . I think , a couple of those show Carolyn on stage , during “ India Evening “ function but I could be wrong

 

I have yet to go through your biography pages ( done 3 so far ) but somewhere there you refer to “ Carolyn [ 1935 – 1999 ]  . That depressed me no end !

 

After I returned from KU , I worked for 1 year in a small engineering factory and , in 1959 joined “ Larsen and Toubro Ltd “ ( still the largest Engineering firm of India ) . I rose to be a General Manager of ( at that time ) , its biggest factory ( in Mumbai ) , employing 7,500 persons . Last 3 years of my job ( 1987-90 ) , I served as General Manager ( Planning ) and General Manager ( Exports ), before retiring in April 1990

 

 

After retirement , I set up a Headhunting ( Senior Level recruitment ) firm , under the name,

 

3P Consultants

 

-     along with my younger son , Nirmit ( 1966 born ) , who now manages it independently for past 10 years

 

My elder son , Vishesh ( 1960 born ) has a business of marketing Pharma Machineries ( from Italy ) and regularly visits Hannover Fair ( ? )

 

Vishesh and his wife Niyati stay with us ( or rather, me and my wife Bharati – now 81 – stay with  them )

 

Nirmit and his wife Pooja ( a Electronics engineer ) stay a few km away , close to 3P office . They have no issues

 

Vishesh / Niyati have two daughters

 

Elder one , Anokhee , has post-graduate degrees in English Literature and Education from Sheffield and York ( UK ) . She married David Lingwood ( her college friend ) in 2011 and is settled in York with David ( who gave up his career in Police Dept / completed his MBA and about to take up another job

 

Anokhee is teaching “ English Language “ to high school students at Ethelburga University

 

They have a 3.5 year old daughter , named Maia . They spent 5 weeks with us in July / aug

 

Vishesh’s younger daughter , Aneere , did her M S ( Psychology ) from York and is now with us in Mumbai

 

She has her own private practice as a “ Consulting Psychologist “ , besides doing some research with a group

 

I had a bypass surgery in 2005 but keeping reasonably active / busy ( only from home ) by blogging on my site  [  www.hemenparekh.in  ] . Keeps me busy for 3 / 4 hours

 

My wife Bharati is also active, despite problems with her spine / knee problems

 

We have a garden adjoining our residence and go for a walk every morning

 

I am not in touch with anyone else from KU

 

More after I hear from you

 

Regards,

 

Hemen

 

PS :

 

You can read some of my poems at :

 

http://poemseng.blogspot.com/2018/01/maia-is-breeze.html

 

 

 

From: Horst Helle [mailto:horsthelle@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:07 PM
To: hcp@RecruitGuru.com
Subject: Re: Since it is late in India, only a picture for now

 

Dear Hemen:

Thanks and apologies come first: Thanks for your kindness to find me in the vastness of the internet and for writing after so many decades. Apologies for taking so long to respond. You are my one and only roommate I ever had. I remember of course that you were then a student of engineering at KU. I took courses in Business Administration, because it seemed clear then, that I would become a businessman like my father. But contrary to what my family and I expected, I spent only three years working in industry, then returned to the university and became a professor of sociology. At the bottom of this e-mail you find a link to a summary of my life. A few minutes ago, I sent a copy of three pictures from Lawrence: First the house in which we both lived, “as paying guests of Naomi”, as you write. The picture has a date on the back: Sept. 13, 1956. Next a portrait of you and me with a Christmas tree in the background. It too is dated: Dec. 18, 1956. Last – more as a joke – a picture of the “European” soccer team of KU at the time in which I played, dated Oct. 21, 1956. KU had three soccer teams: Asia, Europe, and Latin America (if I remember correctly). It shows how very international the campus was at the time of our stay there.

If you too have photos from our stay in Lawrence, please let me have copies.

I look forward to more correspondence with you.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Horst

 


From: Horst Helle <horsthelle@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:15 PM
To: hcp@RecruitGuru.com
Subject: Since it is late in India, only a picture for now

 

No comments:

Post a Comment